Real Weekly Earnings up 4.6 Percent for Year Ending June 2020, Reflecting Loss of Lower-paying Jobs

Real average hourly earnings for all private nonfarm employees increased 4.3% from June 2019 to June 2020. The increase in real average hourly earnings combined with a 0.3% increase in the average workweek resulted in a 4.6% increase in real average weekly earnings over the year. The increases in real average hourly and weekly earnings largely reflect the substantial job loss over the year among lower-paid workers as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and efforts to contain it.

Real average hourly earnings for production and nonsupervisory employees increased 4.8% from June 2019 to June 2020. The change in real average hourly earnings combined with a 0.9% increase in the average workweek resulted in a 5.7% increase in real average weekly earnings over the year.