Real Weekly Earnings up 3.7 Percent for Year Ended December 2020

Real average hourly earnings for all employees increased 3.7% from December 2019 to December 2020. The change in real average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 1.2% in the average workweek resulted in a 4.9% increase in real average weekly earnings over this period. The increases in real average hourly and weekly earnings largely reflect the substantial job loss over the year among lower-paid workers as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and efforts to contain it.

For production and nonsupervisory employees, real average hourly earnings increased 3.8% from December 2019 to December 2020. The change in real average hourly earnings combined with a 1.8% increase in the average workweek resulted in a 5.7% increase in real average weekly earnings over this period.