Real Hourly Earnings Down 1.2 Percent in July 2021

Real (adjusted for inflation) average hourly earnings for all employees decreased 0.1% from June to July 2021. This result stems from an increase of 0.4% in average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 0.5% in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers.

Over the 12 months from July 2020 to July 2021, real average hourly earnings for all employees decreased 1.2%.

Real average hourly earnings for production and nonsupervisory employees were unchanged from June to July 2021. This result stems from a 0.4% increase in average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 0.5% in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers.

From July 2020 to July 2021, real average hourly earnings for production and nonsupervisory employees decreased 1.1%.

These data are from the Current Employment Statistics survey and are seasonally adjusted. Earnings for the most recent two months are preliminary. For more information, see “Real Earnings — July 2020.” The Consumer Price Index is used to adjust earnings for inflation.