Blog Post

Real Earnings Decreased 0.1 Percent in December

Real average hourly earnings for all employees decreased 0.1 percent from November to December, seasonally adjusted, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported. This result stems from an increase of 0.1% in average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 0.2% in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U).

Real average weekly earnings decreased 0.1% over the month due to the change in real average hourly earnings combined with no change in the average workweek.

Real average hourly earnings increased 0.6%, seasonally adjusted, from December 2018 to December 2019. The change in real average hourly earnings combined with a 0.6% decrease in the average workweek resulted in essentially no change in real average weekly earnings over this period.

Production and Nonsupervisory Employees

Real average hourly earnings for production and nonsupervisory employees decreased 0.2% from November to December, seasonally adjusted. This result stems from a 0.1% increase in average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 0.3% in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W).

Real average weekly earnings decreased 0.2% over the month due to the decrease in real average hourly earnings combined with no change in average weekly hours.

From December 2018 to December 2019, real average hourly earnings increased 0.7%, seasonally adjusted. The change in real average hourly earnings combined with a 0.6% decrease in the average workweek resulted in a 0.1% increase in real average weekly earnings over this period.

U.S. Import and Expor

February 18th, 2020
U.S. import prices were unchanged in January, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported, following 0.2% advances the 2 previous months. In January, falling fuel.

Unemployment Increase

February 13th, 2020
In the week ending Feb. 8, 2020, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial claims was 205,000, an increase of 2,000 from the previous week's.