Real Average Hourly Earnings for all Employees Decreased 0.5% in October

All Employees

Real average hourly earnings for all employees decreased 0.5% from September to October, seasonally adjusted, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. This result stems from an increase of 0.4% in average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 0.9% in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U).

Real average weekly earnings decreased 0.9% over the month due to the change in real average hourly earnings combined with a decrease of 0.3% in the average workweek.

Real average hourly earnings decreased 1.2%, seasonally adjusted, from October 2020 to October 2021. The change in real average hourly earnings combined with a decrease of 0.3% in the average workweek resulted in a 1.6% decrease in real average weekly earnings over this period.

Production and Nonsupervisory Employees
Real average hourly earnings for production and nonsupervisory employees decreased 0.7% from September to October, seasonally adjusted. This result stems from a 0.4% increase in average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 1.1% in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W).

Real average weekly earnings decreased 1.0% over the month due to the change in real average hourly earnings combined with a decrease of 0.3% in average weekly hours.

From October 2020 to October 2021, real average hourly earnings decreased 1.1%, seasonally adjusted. The change in real average hourly earnings combined with a 0.3% decrease in the average workweek resulted in a 1.4% decrease in real average weekly earnings over this period.