Real Average Hourly Earnings for all Employees Decrease 0.8% Over the Month in March

Real average hourly earnings for all employees decreased 0.8 percent from February to March, seasonally adjusted, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. This result stems from a decrease of 0.1% in average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 0.6% in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U).

Real average weekly earnings increased 0.1% over the month due to the decrease in real average hourly earnings being more than offset by an increase of 0.9% in the average workweek.

Real average hourly earnings for production and nonsupervisory employees decreased 0.6% from February to March, seasonally adjusted. This result stems from a 0.1% increase in average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 0.7% in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W).

Real average weekly earnings increased 0.3% over the month due to the decrease in real average hourly earnings being more than offset by an increase of 0.9% in average weekly hours.

From March 2020 to March 2021, real average hourly earnings increased 1.4%, seasonally adjusted. The change in real average hourly earnings combined with a 2.7% increase in the average workweek resulted in a 4.1% increase in real average weekly earnings over this period.