Real Average Hourly Earnings for all Employees Decrease 0.2% in May

All Employees

Real average hourly earnings for all employees decreased 0.2% from April to May, seasonally adjusted, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported. This result stems from an increase of 0.5% in average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 0.6% in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers. Real average weekly earnings decreased 0.1% over the month due to the change in real average hourly earnings combined with no change in the average workweek.

Real average hourly earnings decreased 2.8%, seasonally adjusted, from May 2020 to May 2021. The change in real average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 0.6% in the average workweek resulted in a 2.2% decrease in real average weekly earnings over this period.

Real average hourly earnings for production and nonsupervisory employees decreased 0.2% from April to May, seasonally adjusted. This result stems from a 0.5% increase in average hourly earnings combined with an increase of 0.7% in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers. Real average weekly earnings decreased 0.4% over the month due to the change in real average hourly earnings combined with a decrease of 0.3% in average weekly hours.

From May 2020 to May 2021, real average hourly earnings decreased 3.0%, seasonally adjusted. The change in real average hourly earnings combined with a 0.6% increase in the average workweek resulted in a 2.5% decrease in real average weekly earnings over this period.