Real Average Hourly Earnings Decrease 0.1% Over the Month in July

All Employees

Real average hourly earnings for all employees decreased 0.1% from June to July, seasonally adjusted, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. This result stems from a 0.3% increase in average hourly earnings combined with a 0.3% increase in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U).

Real average weekly earnings decreased 0.3% over the month due to the decrease of 0.1% in real average hourly earnings combined with a decrease of 0.3% in the average workweek.

Real average hourly earnings increased 1.3%, seasonally adjusted, from July 2018 to July 2019.

The change in real average hourly earnings combined with a 0.6% decrease in the average workweek resulted in a 0.8% increase in real average weekly earnings over this period.

Production and Nonsupervisory Employees

Real average hourly earnings for production and nonsupervisory employees decreased 0.2% from June to July, seasonally adjusted. This result stems from a 0.2% increase in average hourly earnings combined with a 0.4% increase in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W).

Real average weekly earnings decreased 0.5% over the month due to the decrease of 0.2% in real average hourly earnings combined with a decrease of 0.3% in average weekly hours.

From July 2018 to July 2019, real average hourly earnings increased 1.6%, seasonally adjusted. Combining the change in real average hourly earnings with a 0.9% decrease in the average workweek resulted in a 0.7% increase in real average weekly earnings over this period.