Canada to Allow Fully Vaccinated Non-Essential U.S. Travelers Beginning Mid-August; NTDA Online Convention Registration Open

The National Trailer Dealers Association (NTDA) will host its 31st Annual Convention, Oct. 6–8, 2021, at Fairmont Chateau Whistler in Whistler, British Columbia, Canada. Registration and housing are available on the NTDA’s Web site, under the “Convention” Section, for the much anticipated, in-person Convention that is dedicated to gathering the best of the best in the semi-trailer industry.

Reconnect with your business contacts and build your network of trailer dealers, leading OEMs, component manufacturers and industry service providers. Understand where the industry and economy are headed. Discover what’s ahead post-pandemic, and beyond. Learn about new trailers, products, and services at the NTDA Exhibition & Strolling Luncheon. Plus, golf at the stunning and award-winning Robert Trent Jones, Jr. Course at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler Golf Club.

Attendees and guests can explore optional activities. Fall in Whistler offers an abundance of activities, wide-open spaces, and a unique, laid-back pace. In fact, there is so much to do, it is hard to know where to begin.

The NTDA is considering the health and safety of attendees and staff during every step of the planning process. The Association will strictly follow both U.S. and Canadian-based guidelines. We are in constant communication with Canadian officials as well as with the resort and convention/trade show suppliers to ensure a safe, open, and viable event. We look forward to seeing you in Whistler! To help you navigate travel and entry to/from Canada, please see the important details outlined below.

Register now for the 31st Annual NTDA Convention, Oct. 6–8, 2021, at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler in Whistler, BC, Canada. The NTDA room block was more than 85% sold out as of July 12. The Golf Tournament on Friday, Oct. 8 is now full. The wine tasting for spouses/guests on Thursday, Oct. 7 is also completely full.

Please note that if you registered last year for the 2020 Convention, all registrations were refunded in August 2020. Therefore, you will need to register for the 2021 Convention. Likewise, sponsors and exhibitors must register. Any sponsors that have free registrations included in their sponsorship package have been contacted directly. Any contest winners from 2019 should contact NTDA President Gwen Brown at [email protected], or call (810) 229-5960.

To register, visit To book a reservation at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler, visit

A Brief Editorial Note

Several members have contacted the NTDA to express their disappointment regarding Canada’s current request for proof of inoculations relative to COVID-19. Some members have also shared their personal opinions or  concerns about the COVID-19 vaccine. Please note that while we respect everyone has an opinion about the pandemic, vaccines, politics, etc., the NTDA does not control any government requirements and/or restrictions. The NTDA can only provide you with information from governmental agencies to make informed decisions about attending the Convention. Travelers should consult with their personal physician if they have specific questions or concerns regarding their individual medical situation, COVID-19, and/or the vaccine. For information about the vaccine, visit

While there are some travelers who may feel imposed restrictions are unreasonable and/or a violation of their personal liberties, it is important to note that some countries have always required foreign visitors to carry an International Certificate of Vaccination (a.k.a.  Yellow Card), or other proof that they have had certain inoculations or medical tests before entering their country. Canada does not currently require an International Certificate of Vaccination.

Canada does not require vaccinations to prevent Malaria nor other dreadful diseases including Zika, Dengue Fever, Typhoid, Cholera, Yellow Fever, Rabies, Anthrax, Meningitis, nor Ebola that many other countries require for entry. Canada does require a COVID-19 vaccination though. It is important to note that any government may close its border and/or require quarantine of people who appear sick — including the U.S.

Questions relative to Canadian government-imposed restrictions or requirements specific to British Columbia can be directed to the U.S. Consulate General Vancouver by calling (604) 685-4311, or email [email protected]. Likewise, you may contact The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), or your Congressman or Senator regarding any U.S. testing and/or entry requirements.

Canada Border Reopening Mid-August to Fully Vaccinated U.S. Travelers

Starting July 6, 2021, Canada began making exemptions for fully COVID-19 vaccinated essential travelers who meet specific conditions to enter the country. Beginning mid-August, non-essential fully vaccinated travelers may enter Canada as well. By mid-September, travel restrictions from travelers from other countries will also be allowed as long as they are fully vaccinated provided that the country has met a certain threshold of vaccinations, and that its COVID cases remain low.

To be considered fully vaccinated, you must have received the full series of a vaccine — or a combination of vaccines — accepted by the Government of Canada at least 14 days prior to entering Canada. To qualify for certain exemptions and quarantine/testing requirements, you must be eligible to enter Canada, be asymptomatic, be fully vaccinated, and meet all entry requirements. Pre-entry COVID testing is required for air and land travelers.

Accepted Vaccines:

  • Pfizer (Comirnaty, tozinameran, BNT162b2)
  • Moderna (mRNA-1273)
  • AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria, AZD1222, Covishield)
  • Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) — single dose.



British Columbia has a four-step reopening plan,, which finalizes Sept. 7 with a full reopening and zero restrictions. Restrictions may be lifted sooner depending on the total level of vaccinations achieved and continued decline in the number of COVID-19 cases within the Province. Stay up-to-date on Canada’s evolving entry requirements by downloading the ArriveCan app at

Airline Travel Requirements

The CDC requires all air passengers entering the U.S. (including U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents) to present a negative COVID-19 test, taken within three calendar days of departure or proof of recovery from the virus within the last 90 days. Airlines must confirm the negative test result or proof of recovery for all passengers two years of age and over prior to boarding. Airlines must deny boarding of passengers who do not provide documentation of a negative test or recovery.

The CDC recommends that you do not travel internationally until you are fully vaccinated. Travelers should consult with their personal physician if they have specific questions or concerns regarding their individual medical situation.

Per the CDC, if you are fully vaccinated and planning international travel, please consider the following:

The CDC order requiring pre-departure testing to travel or return to the U.S. applies to all air travelers, even those who are fully vaccinated. If your flight is delayed before departure, you will need to get re-tested if the delay causes your test to fall outside the three-day pre-departure testing period requirement. A delay while traveling on a continuous itinerary will not invalidate an otherwise valid test unless it results in you leaving the airport terminal or a layover lasting longer than 24 hours.

The three-day time frame is meant to provide a reasonable turnaround time for test results. While you could be infected after your test, the CDC order is meant to reduce the risk of further introduction, transmission, and spread of the virus (including new variants) into the U.S.

If you test positive before travel to/re-entry into the U.S., you will be denied boarding and may have to undergo a mandatory quarantine before re-entering the U.S. All air passengers aged 2 and older need to provide negative test results. Children under the age of 2 do not need to provide negative test results. At this time, all air passengers traveling to the U.S., regardless of vaccination or antibody status, are required to provide a negative COVID-19 test result, or documentation of recovery. Rapid tests are acceptable if they are a viral test acceptable under the Order.

Canadian Border Services Agency

The NTDA will provide all attendees with a letter from the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) International Events and Convention Services Program that officially recognizes the NTDA Convention at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler, Oct. 6–8, 2021. The letter states that the NTDA’s request for “Border to Show” privileges have been granted. The letter allows also exhibitors to import conference materials (i.e., exhibit-related materials) of up to $2,000 USD duty-free. All items must be properly declared and accurately identified.

The CBSA recommends downloading the CanBorder — eDeclaration app to your smart phone to also help speed your way through the border. For more information, please visit CBSA officials determine if you can enter Canada in accordance with Canadian law. 

Travel Programs/Info

For travel information, Canada offers a Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and to make it easier to locate you in an emergency. Visit for more information or to enroll.

TSA PreCheck® may help to speed your way through the airport and travel process as it provides you with an FBI background check and a Known Traveler Number for more seamless screening. For more information, visit According to the TSA, in May 2021, 97% of TSA PreCheck® passengers waited less than 5 minutes in line for screening.

Visit the NTDA Web site for additional information regarding travel and COVID-related resources at

Entry Into Canada

Canadian law requires all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. If you do not currently have a valid passport, it may take two to three months to process your request from the date it is received.

Enhanced Driver’s Licenses (EDL) are only valid for land and marine crossings, however, so you will not be able to fly to Canada with it as your only form of identification.

Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship. If you plan to travel to Canada with a minor who is not your own child or for whom you do not have full legal custody, CBSA may require you to present a notarized affidavit of consent from the minor’s parents.

For visits to Canada of less than 180 days, U.S. citizens do not need visas.

If you have a criminal record (including misdemeanors or alcohol-related driving offenses), you may not be able to enter Canada without first obtaining an “approval for rehabilitation” (visit well in advance of any planned travel.

To determine whether you may be inadmissible and how to overcome this finding, please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website at


It is important to remember that most health insurance programs, including Medicare or Medicaid, do not cover medical expenses incurred outside the U.S. Travelers may want to consider a Travel Insurance policy. These policies are very inexpensive (about $25 per person) and may provide coverage for medical expenses and emergency medical evacuation (including those relating to COVID-19); lost baggage, trip delays and cancellations; and the option to cancel your flight for any reason. For quotes on travel insurance, contact your insurance agent, or visit

Travel Smartly With Prescription Meds

Bring an ample supply of medication to cover you for your trip, and if possible, a few extra days in case there are delays.

Carry a letter from the attending physician that describes the medical condition and any prescription  medications, including the generic name of prescribed drugs. Keep medications in their original, labeled containers.

Find a Doctor or Hospital in Canada

You can find lists of doctors and hospitals in Canada by visiting the U.S. embassy and consulate websites at

Money Matters

Before visiting any foreign country, notify your bank and credit card companies of your travel, Check exchange rates as well. Most airports offer currency exchange. Fees for exchanging currency can be less at your bank, but you may need to order foreign currency a few days in advance as banks do not always keep various currencies on-hand.

If you have currency or monetary instruments equal to or greater than $10,000 CAD (or the equivalent in a foreign currency) in your possession when arriving in or departing from Canada, you must report to the CBSA. Monetary instruments include items such as stocks, bonds, bank drafts, cheques, and travellers’ cheques.

Travelers With Firearms

Each year, hundreds of U.S. citizens face arrest in other countries because they are carrying firearms or ammunition, much of which they could legally possess in the U.S. Most arrests happen on the Canadian and Mexican borders, where people attempt to cross with a firearm they routinely keep in their vehicle. Almost all major forms of self-defense and firearms are prohibited at the Canadian border including but not limited to handguns, automatic weapons, stun guns, mace, and pepper spray.

The Penalties can be Severe: Paying steep fines, having the firearms — and vehicle — taken away, going to prison, and/or being banned for life from Canada could result from violations. No one is exempt from penalties for violating another country’s gun laws. With a little thought and research ahead of time though, you can avoid most of these problems.

Items You Can Bring Into Canada

In terms of traveling with alcoholic beverages, you can bring one of the following: one and a half liters of wine, 24 12-ounce cans or bottles of beer, or 40 ounces of liquor. For tobacco, you can either bring 200 cigarettes (10 packs) or 50 cigars — Including Cuban cigars, which are not banned in Canada like they are in the U.S.

You are in luck if you are traveling with a four-legged friend. Bringing your dogs and cats to Canada is perfectly fine if they are accompanied by a veterinarian-signed document that indicates the animal’s breed and physical description as well as proof they are up to date with their rabies shots. However, please note that dog or cat food containing beef or lamb byproducts are prohibited at the Canadian border. The Fairmont Chateau Whistler is a pet-friendly resort. Contact the resort regarding any pet-related fees, or accommodations.

The regulations governing meat and meat products in Canada are stringent. You may not import fresh, dried or canned meats, meat products, or foods that have been prepared with meat.

Items You Cannot Bring Back Into the U.S. from Canada:

  • Fruits and vegetables.
  • Plants and cut flowers.
  • Meat and animal products (including Ramen noodles or Kinder Eggs).
  • Certain dried spices containing lemon, lime, orange, lemongrass, coca, barberry, and loose citrus leaves.
  • Unpasteurized cheeses or products containing raw eggs or egg-based products produced in Mexico.
  • Live animals (including pet birds due to Avian influenza subtype H5NI; and any product made from sea turtles, crocodile, caiman leather, coral, or ivory).
  • Firewood, fireworks, live bait, and radar detectors are also banned.
  • Illegal substances such as Rohypnol,
    Fen-Phen, or any drug paraphernalia.
  • Although the possession of cannabis is legal in some U.S. states, it remains illegal under U.S. federal laws. Do not attempt to cross the Canada-U.S. border with any amount of cannabis in any form, even if you are travelling to a U.S. state that has legalized possession of cannabis. Crossing the border or arriving at a U.S. port of entry in violation of this law may result in denied admission, seizure, fines, and apprehension.

For more information, visit the CBSA website at